About The Project

This project is about the culture of tattoos as an art form from the perspective of a shop in one of my favorite cities: San Francisco. I will be researching and illuminating the lifestyle of tattoo artists (or a single artist) at Idle Hand Tattoo, one of my favorite shops, and showing my audience what tattooing means to these artists and why San Francisco is a special place where this type of art can flourish.

Idle Hand Tattoo is located in Lower Haight, and is a popular shop, known for the artists’ unique styles and great reputation. From my interviews with artists and time under the needle there, I will find a story that shows my audience what tattoos mean to people and why it is such a special form of art and self-expression.

Tattooing has been an art form for many centuries, spanning all over the world in countless styles. It is a real and permanent form of expression that has been an important part of pop culture, especially here in the San Francisco Bay Area which has such a diverse culture and liberal mindset. San Francisco has an especially important part in history, including the hippie movement, military presence on the coast, and the original custom tattoo shop started by Ed Hardy.

The audience for this project is anyone and everyone who has a tattoo, is interested in the art of tattoos, or is an artist that can relate to this everlasting, intimate method of expression. Tattoos are not for everyone, but still today the people who indulge in them and can respect them are furthering the acceptance and appreciation for this sacred art.

Luckily, I already have an appointment set up at Idle Hand, which is how I will approach their artists about my project. I will be getting a couple tattoos along the way as well, partly to help my audience connect to the topic through my experience and choices. I have been very interested in tattoos and their culture ever since I became old enough to get them, and I would love to share the world of ink and why it is so important to many people trying to express themselves, especially in San Francisco, our wonderful city by the bay.

S.F.

4 thoughts on “About The Project