About the Artist: Austin Maples

I got to learn more about Austin while worked on me last week, which was a great experience getting to know my artist better.

I got to learn more about Austin while he worked on me last week, which was a great experience getting to know my artist better. He shared parts of his past and what brought him into the art of tattooing.

Untitled3

Austin grew up in Santa Rosa, CA, and started getting tattooed around the age of 14, at one point getting one or two tattoos a week. He claims it started with graffiti, as the two art forms are similar.

Untitled2

Austin has lived in and travelled to many different places, and he came back to San Francisco from Sydney, Australia for the tattoos, he says. He also likes to work at a lot of different shops, doing guest art as many artists do in the tattoo world.

Here is a short audio clip of me asking Austin some questions over the buzz of needles. I thought capturing the feeling of being in a tattoo studio was too good to pass up.

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/134393390″ params=”color=ff5500&auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_artwork=true” width=”100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]

tattoo images taken from Austin Maples’ Instagram account.

One thought on “About the Artist: Austin Maples