About the Project

CORE CONCEPT

The Core Concept of this project is on the history of Virtual Reality (VR), with a focus on gaming, and it's extended applications moving forward. VR, to me, was first introduced as a gaming device, to immerse players in the worlds and gameplay they know and love. However, after doing some research and getting some hands-on experience learning about VR, there are many more applications for VR that will change the way society operates. This rapidly evolving technology is astounding, and it's something I'd like to learn about in my project.  

A VR Fest visitor using BrickVR's display VR device: The cardboard display. The cardboard display is one you hold over your eyes yourself. You simply look around and play an equally simple mini-game using a button where your right index finger goes. BrickVR want to specifically show that the Cardboard device can still be applicable and fun, and that they're still developing games and devices for commercial use. I had a chance to try it myself, and it was very intuitive and fun... I don't think I had as much fun as the visitor in the photo, however!

A VR Fest visitor using BrickVR's display VR device: The cardboard display. The cardboard display is one you hold over your eyes yourself. You simply look around and play an equally simple mini-game using a button where your right index finger goes. BrickVR want to specifically show that the Cardboard device can still be applicable and fun, and that they're still developing games and devices for commercial use. I had a chance to try it myself, and it was very intuitive and fun… I don't think I had as much fun as the visitor in the photo, however!

ACCESS

My main point of access will be San Francisco. The information I've gathered tells me that all kinds of different events pertaining to the use and development of VR devices are held in San Francisco at different points, and rather consistently. BrickVR, the company I will be using as an example, is stationed in San Francisco, and is where I will be conducting my interview. 

STORY

The story I'd like to tell is of the history of Virtual Reality itself. There is a story there; one that starts with gaming innovation and ends with norm-changing values. I want to tell the story of not just VR, but of the people that work in the field, that are using their days to perfect this technology not just for gaming, but for technological advancement in general. Initially, I will start with Virtual Reality's inception, and growth as a gaming device. Because my main field of interest is in gaming I will be focusing on that aspect of VR. Once that is done, I will list examples of how VR's technology isn't just a growing medium for entertainment, and how it can be applied in several different fields of society. 

WHO 

BrickVR is a company that dedicates their time to experimenting with VR technology to expand its usage. They utilize all VR devices out there, and are making strides to create games on all the platforms. Interviewing BrickVR will give me great insight into the technological aspects of creating VR, and a basis for what is to come in terms of the technology. 

BrickVR's Display Banner. This picture was taken at the VR Fest in San Francisco, at the Palace of Fine Arts. This banner was held in front of their booth, where they were advertising just what pieces of technology BrickVR is handling when they develop their products; amazingly, they're focusing on all available VR platforms

BrickVR's Display Banner. This picture was taken at the VR Fest in San Francisco, at the Palace of Fine Arts. This banner was held in front of their booth, where they were advertising just what pieces of technology BrickVR is handling when they develop their products; amazingly, they're working with all available VR platforms

WHERE

BrickVR's headquarters are held in San Francisco, and the Palace of Fine Arts held the VR Fest event. These two places are the most prominent places of my project.

WHAT 

My project is about the history and future of the technological advancement of Virtual Reality; starting off with its inception, its growth as a gaming device, and ending with its future/alternate applications, I hope to inform people about VR and just how amazing this technology is and can be.

WHEN 

July 27th for the VR Fest at the Palace of Fine Arts. The meeting with BrickVR has yet to be scheduled, but will most likely be sometime next week (the week of July 14th).

AUDIENCE 

Generally speaking, my main audience is the gaming community; those who are gamers or follow the VR community would most likely appreciate my project. As for everyone else, I hope that this project is just generally interesting; it's about an advancing technology that may revolutionize they way that we operate as a society. This, I hope, will at least get people to realize it's potential, if only because it's interesting. 

HOW

Doing this project involves talking to people in the field, and learning myself what VR is all about. I am going to start with gaming, as that is my field and my main personal interest. After VR's history in that, I'll jump into it's future, it's applications aside from general entertainment. I will interview a representative of BrickVR to get information on their application of VR, and just what kind of technology goes into it. 

WHY

The "why" of this project is a little complex, I suppose. I mainly took interest in it because of my passion for gaming, and storytelling. From what I've seen, VR aims to change how those work entirely, and this excites me. However, due to the guidelines of the project and a narrowing of my focus, I want to learn about it's (VR's) history, starting off as a gaming device and evolving into a technological achievement capable of things we could only dream of years ago. All in all, I just find this topic to be really interesting and I'm learning something new. Those two things make this worth doing tenfold. 

Myself, using VR for the first time. However, it is not for a game, but for a health study/awareness program. In this photo, though obviously impossible to tell, I am experiencing what it is like to have schizophrenia. To say the least, the experience was chilling, scary. It's examples like these that show the true use of VR.