To book studio time, please first check:
to view the online room schedule. (You do not need to log into this site to look at it).
Then complete an online booking form to book the space.
You can now book your sessions online with the Expression Booking form!
PLEASE NOTE! You should receive a confirmation email immediately after you submit the form. If you don’t receive a confirmation email, you may have missed a required field. Please check to make sure all fields are complete!
Studio Time - Rules and Regulations of Use
- Students must be actively enrolled in classes and in good financial standing with SAE Expression while maintaining satisfactory progress in their current courses
- All booking requests must be cleared through the Studio Manager and approved by the requesting student’s current course director
- Students must be currently enrolled in or have successfully completed the Course associated with each room to be eligible to book it:
Must be enrolled in or have successfully passed:
|Post-Production Suites||MSV 2|
|Audio Suites||BRP 1|
|MT Lab||Music Theory 1|
|Electronic Music Suites||CMP2|
|SSL 6000, SSL 9000, Neve||IRP 2|
|Pro Tools Lab (Cl 3)||DAW 1|
|Meyer||Live Sound 2|
|Studio 2||ARP 2|
Live Action Compositing(AVE), Motion Graphics 1 (MGD), Shooting Visual Effects (DF)
|Stop Motion Room||Intro to Animation (AVE), Motion Graphics 1 (MGD), Visual Storytelling (DF)|
|Vicon 8 Motion Capture System||Motion Studies|
|Sound Stage||Compositing 2 (AVE), Music Video (MGD), Camera, Grip & Lighting (DF)|
2. Rules of Usage
- Students must use the studios responsibly, and ensure that any guests (artists, friends, etc) do likewise
- Only fresh or single pass reels of +9 tape may be used on the Otari Machines in Neve or SSL Studios
- No food or drinks are allowed at any time in the control rooms, isolation booths, editing suites, or production spaces. Please keep your food and drink in the cafe or other public areas of the school.
- DON’T LEAVE A MESS!!! Rooms should be set back to “normal” (console & outboard gear must be zeroed out, patchbay pulled, mic stands and gobos stacked neatly in the studio, chairs replaced, lights out, doors locked, etc.) for the next session. All equipment must be undamaged and intact upon leaving.
- Do not bleed into the next person’s session by waiting until the very end of your session to clean up
- Other than for Sound Reinforcement purposes, do not block the studio windows under any circumstances
- Students must not benefit financially from their time in an Expression studio…
THIS MEANS YOU CANNOT CHARGE A BAND TO RECORD AT EXPRESSION!!! This also means you cannot charge for ANY professional work done using Ex’pression facilities or equipment
- Any failure to adhere to Section 3 above will result in disciplinary action as follows: The first infraction will receive a warning (unless it is determined that any equipment is missing, this will be investigated and dealt with appropriately, and may result in expulsion). The second infraction will result in the Student having his/her studio privileges revoked for no less than one month, and the third will result in a permanent loss of studio privileges
- Anyone caught in any studio without permission will be put on immediate conduct probation, a second infraction will result in a permanent loss of studio privileges
- Anyone discovered altering the configuration of a studio IN ANY WAY will automatically lose all studio privileges
Personal Studio Time -Booking Procedures
1. Check for Availability
2. Make a Request
- Students are allowed a maximum of 30 HOURS OF PERSONAL TIME PER MONTH in any combination of studios, suites or production spaces, and only 8 hours total may be requested at one time. Students may combine their allotted time if they work together
- Students who fail to appear for their scheduled studio time will lose those hours, as well as an equal number of hours from the next month’s allotment
Complete the Studio Booking form at least 5 full business days in advance (a business day is Monday-Friday 8a-5p, excluding Holidays). Requests may not be made more than 45 days in advance. Please make sure all fields of the form are complete before submitting.
Please select your current Course Instructor. If you do not see your instructor listed, you may choose your Program Chair. The instructor will then receive the request, and e-mail the Studio Manager their approval if so granted. You will no longer need to track down your instructors for their signatures – their e-mail approval will serve as the signature. The new Rules of Booking form will only require your signature.
You will receive an immediate automated response stating that your completed form has been received. THIS IS NOT A CONFIRMATION OF YOUR REQUEST! You will receive another response from the scheduler stating whether the requested time can be reserved for you. If the time can be reserved, you will receive instructions to complete a Rules for Booking (PDF) form and return it to Alana de Ocampo in the Equipment Room for confirmation.
- Expression reserves the right to cancel a booking without warning, but will make an effort to notify the Student
3. Reserve Equipment (if applicable)
Extra Lab Time - Booking Procedures
(If your group would like to hire a tutor to assist in your review session, please visit the Academic Assistance page. There are dedicated tutors for BRP to aid those students in reviewing for the final or performance eval.)
1. Check for Availability
2. Make a request
3. Reserve Equipment (if applicable)
I highly encourage you to utilize the studios and suites of SAE Expression College. In order to keep this privilege available to our community, we must care for these spaces.
*** Rooms must be used as intended, normalized, tidied and left in professional-standard condition. ***
*** Studio hardware must never be disconnected or rewired. ***
Violation of this rule is considered a breach of the student code of conduct and may be resolved by a suspension of booking privileges, or in egregious cases, expulsion.
Students have two circumstances under which a room can be booked: extra lab time, and personal time.
Extra lab time: an opportunity for a student to practice or explore course related activities in a studio. This is a chance to prepare for course assessments, learn how to operate a component beyond the lab experience, and continue or complete course related projects in a studio. For classes that have integrated projects, students can request this additional time to mix, edit or otherwise finish what they began in labs. Instructors can approve as much of this time as a student requires. This is not production time, and to discourage abuse of this opportunity, sessions must be limited to four hours. Instructors will not approve back-to-back extra lab time sessions for an individual student.
Personal time: an opportunity for a student to produce individual projects in a studio. Each month the student receives 30 hours of time to use in rooms which they have ‘unlocked’ relative to their progress in the program. If a student has exceeded their term allotment then they may submit a request for additional hours (including an explanation of why they require more time) via email to the course instructor, Alana de Ocampo, and Chris Colatos for approval.
Violation of studio rules is considered a breach of the student code of conduct and may be resolved by a suspension of booking privileges, or in egregious cases, expulsion.
Please let me know if you have any questions about the reservation guidelines, and thank you in advance for keeping them in mind as you complete your booking requests.
Alumni who wish to book studio time (including green screen or Mo Cap) must be members of the Ex’pression Alumni Association. To read more about the rules and regulations for alumni for booking studio time, please visit http://alumni.expression.edu/alumni-association/member-benefits/.
Ex’pression Alumni Association membership comes with great benefits like Equipment Room and library privileges and it’s a fantastic way to keep in touch with other Ex’pression grads! Join for free at http://alumni.expression.edu/alumni-association/join.