Project Proposal

Core Concept
The Bay Area is home to one of the largest homeless populations in the country. The question is, how are they treated? Are we treating the less fortunate as downtrodden human beings? Or are we trying to shoo them out of sight and mind? This project will highlight the shortcomings of our society when it comes to how we treat the those without shelter and how it just makes things worse.

Who
I would like to interview James Cocklesreese, a homeless man beaten by a Berkeley city employee. I would also like to interview Officer Jennifer Coats, the information officer for the Berkeley Police.

Where
2100 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, Berkeley, CA 94704 – Berkeley Police Station
CVS Alleyway where James was beaten

When
Past and Present. The Bay Area has a long history of homelessness, which still impacts the area today.

Audience
I aim to target liberal 16-25 year olds who are politically and socially conscious. In addition, I equally hope to impact the baby boomer generation considering the rate of homelessness in the elderly population.

How
I will be an urban explorer tracking down locals (housed and un-housed) and officials. Lots of pictures will be taken in addition to interviews.

Story
The story will focus on

2 comments

1. Heather Freeze

Such a large subject, focusing in on how you became moved by it would be invaluable.

2. Ileana Ruiz

Very interesting, looking forward to learning more.