This is not a Federal Work-Study position due to the nature of the hours.
Department: Office of Student Affairs/SM Course Directors
Hours: approximately 4-16 hours per term (see specific hours below)
Positions available: 1 or 2, depending on Session Tutor availability
The Studio Maintenance Study Session Tutor will oversee study hall type sessions for Studio Maintenance 1 and 2 students at set times towards the end of the term. Study Sessions will be held in the Studio Maintenance Room. For SM 1, the Study Session Tutor will assist students prepare for the midterm, final, and performance eval. For SM 2, the Study Session Tutor will assist students with their final projects and help students practice for the performance evaluation.
- Student must be past Studio Maintenance 1 to work SM 1 sessions; past SM 2 to work SM 2 sessions
- Received at minimum a B+ in SM 1 and SM 2
- Must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher at time of hire (may be reviewed on a case by case basis)
- Must not be on Academic or Conduct Probation
- Must be responsible, timely, patient
- Ability to exercise objectivity and discretion
- Enthusiasm for helping others
- Previous teaching or tutoring experience desired but not required.
Study Session Tutors should be prepared to cover the following:
Studio Maintenance 1:
- All math related to lecture material. This includes Ohm’s law, decibels, amp loading and op-amps.
- For the performance evaluation: Component identification and basic facts about each.
Studio Maintenance 2:
- They should review and be able to answer basic questions about the following projects:
- Virtual studio design project
- Circuit project
- For the performance evaluation: Tape machine calibration
- The tutor should be comfortable with troubleshooting circuits with a multi-meter and oscilloscope. This is a tough task for many students trying to complete their circuit project.
Will vary depending on the term, but review sessions will be held around midterm and final time.
How to apply
If you have been in contact with a Student Affairs representative regarding an open Studio Maintenance Study Sessions Tutor position, please complete the Questionnaire below. Once the Application is received and approved by OSA and the SM Course Directors, we will put you on the schedule for Study Sessions. Study Session Tutors will be paid through check and may have to complete a W-9 for Accounting.