The Office of Student Affairs is always looking for tutors for all programs all the time!
Online GE Tutor requirement:
- Candidates must have taken the online GE here at Ex’pression through the eCollege platform.
- Private tutors must have received an A or A- in the class they are tutoring
- Must not be on Academic Probation or Conduct Probation
- Mastery of course material
- Ability to take initiative
- Willingness to help others
- Contact student and arrange a mutually agreed-upon meeting time/place
- Be on time for tutoring sessions, and contact student if you need to cancel
- Provide guidance and instruction geared toward student’s particular needs and concerns
- Decide on an appropriate rate for tutoring services (usually between $8-$10/hour). A student is to be charged no more than $10 per hour
- Collect payment from student for services rendered
If a Drop-in Tutor is not available for these programs, a student may hire a Private Tutor and work with him or her at no cost to the student for up to 2 hours/week. The tutor will be paid by OSA at the current Drop-in Tutor rate for up to 2 hours/week. For anything exceeding 2 hours/week, the student will pay the tutor directly at a Private Tutor rate.
The tutor and student will set up a session at a convenient time and location for both. If within Library hours, the tutor may sign the Tutor Sign-in Sheet to record the duration of the session. Otherwise, an email to OSA will act as record of the session.
Becoming a Private Tutor
If you are interested in being a Private Tutor, please fill out the Private Tutor Questionnaire below. Once your Questionnaire has been received, you will receive a Private Tutor Contract through email. Once you complete the Private Tutor Contract, your name will be added to the Tutor List.
While it is not necessary to interview for the position, it would be great to meet you.
On the Questionnaire, please include your contact information and the courses you would like to tutor. You must have received an A or A- in that course. Please select phone, email, or both, for the contact information you’d like listed on the Tutor List.
For your own info, here is the Tutor Guide (PDF). It lists responsibilities for the Tutor, Student, and Office of Student Affairs and some tips for tutoring.