About the Project

Core Concept

My project is about the life experiences of adoption and how it impacts others.

I will be covering the process of adoption, the relationship between the adopted and their newly formed families, and the long-term affect on the individuals involved.

Access

People that experienced adoption as well as myself. Foster parents and parents that have adopted. Social workers in the system.

Story

In the United States there is 397,122 children living in the foster care system. Only 32% will have a chance of being adopted. As of today, three years is the average wait time for a child in the foster care system to be adopted. During this time, the adoption process and transition of families creates a long-term effect on individuals. I will be exploring this effect as well as the structured foster care system.

Why

Not many people realize the importance of adoption. It provides children with loving families and opportunities to a great life. This topic is important to me because not only am I adopted but know that my experience with the foster care system is unforgettable.

WHO

Vicky Manaoat/Rey Manaoat

My mother and father that adopted me in 2001. She along with my adopted father have experienced the foster care system from a parental perspective and will provide great insight the matter.

Heather Richardson

A psychology teacher at expressions college. She has had experience as a social worker and has a lot of knowledge on the psychology of children. She will cover what makes a child eligible for adoption and the long term mental effect it has on them.

Mililani Manaoat/Mary Manaoat

I was adopted in 2001 along with my older sister Mary. I will be covering what adoption is and my view point on it. I will be discussing my experience in the foster care system and my mentality at the time I was in foster care.

WHERE

3116 San Antonio Court

Fairfield CA. 94533

This is my home address. Here is where I would visit my parents that were my foster parents at the time. I have lived in this house ever since. 

6601 Shellmound Street
Emeryville, CA 94608

This is Expression college's address- I will interview the psychology teacher(Heather Richardson)

600 Union Ave, Fairfield, CA 94533
This is the address of Fairfield's courthouse where my adoption took place.

WHAT

This Project is all about adoption.

"When a child is adopted, that child moves permanently from one family to another family. In the process, all parental rights are legally transferred to the new parents. This means adoptive parents have the same rights and responsibilities as parents whose children were born to them. It also means adopted children have all the emotional, social, legal, and familial benefits of biological children."

"What Is Adoption." Dave Thomas Foundation For Adoption. N.p., n.d. Web. <https://davethomasfoundation.org/adoption-guide/what-is-adoption/>

WHEN 

I believe adoption has always occurred throughout history in one way or another. Adoption was even depicted in the novel "Hunchback of Notre Dame"- in the book people would leave their unwanted babies on a churches' shelf for others to take and care for. The Hunchback was one of these babies taken in by the church.

Today, adoption is much more difficult than taking a baby from a shelf. It requires certain qualifications that I will be covering for my project.

AUDIENCE

Many don't understand how important adoption is. Other's seem to not understand how someone can love another's baby as their own. I know for certain that family is not blood. I want to provide insight to the ones that do not fully understand what adoption is. Recently Buzzfeed posted a video about adoption called "I'm Adopted But I'm not". This video will provide some insight as to the effect adoption has.

HOW

I'm will  tell you a series of stories as well as provide information on this subject. Everyone involved in this project as a thorough knowledge of this topic.