Magnolia Pub

This week I decided to go to the Magnolia brewery to review. Well I didn’t actually decided as much as ended up there after some endeavor. The original plan was to meet up with my friend and go to Anchor Steam because their beer is fantastic and I noticed that it got a good review on yelp. After walking over a mile from the Bart station to Anchor Steam I find out that it is only a brewery and not a brew pub and the only way to get a tour is by a six week reservation. I waited out front of Anchor steam for my friend to come pick me up so we could go to 21st Amendment brewery which is one of my long time favorite micro brews. Before taking off I double checked that it was open and that they weren’t just a brewery but actually served to the public. When we arrived at 21st Amendment I discovered that they do indeed serve to the public but only on Friday nights from 4 pm to 10 pm. I almost decided to go back home and forget this but on a recommendation from a friend I decided to go over to Magnolia pub on Haight st.

The first thing you should know about Magnolia Pub is that you should only go there for their beer. They do serve food and the pork sandwich I had was fantastic however it did cost 15 dollar and I did not think it was worth it. My friend ordered oysters at 3 dollars a pop and although they were good they did not warrant that price. The type of food they serve there is not the kind I want to see at a brew pub. It is a little too fancy for a pub in my eyes but to each their own I guess.

Now for the beer. When I was their they were serving 9 house beers ranging from a double IPA all the way to a beer that is more like a champagne than a beer. Out of the four beers I tried I started at the top and slowly worked down unfortunately. I started with the Proving ground which is a double IPA and it was amazing, definitely ranks up there in my favorite beers. It was not quite as heavy as a traditional double IPA and it was very refreshing as well as full of flavor. Next I had the Prescription which is a pale ale. Pale ales are usually not my favorite but I really enjoyed it. I would definitely enjoy a pint of it on a warm summer day. The other two beers I had were almost not worth mentioning. The Squab Boy IPA was mediocre at best. It is an extremely weak IPA and I would only recommend it to someone that does not like IPA’s but is thinking about getting into them. The last beer was the Saison de Lily and it was awful. It was a very sour beer that was way to carbonated and tasted like bad champagne. Although I had a few disappointing beers the Proving ground and the Prescription are more than worth a trip out there. As is the funky atmosphere that goes along with running a pub that is located on Haight st.

Overall I enjoyed Magnolia pub. The wait staff was enjoyable and the atmosphere was fun and relaxing. If you are in the area I would definitely recommend stopping by and grabbing a pint of Proving ground I know I will. However there are a lot better brew pubs in the area so I wouldn’t recommend going out of your way to go there.

This entry was posted in pubs. Bookmark the permalink.