LEC 7: No LEC, LAB Only PREVIEW ASSIGNMENT DUE TODAY
The preview/trailer assignment is 10% of your grade, due at lab start time.
- Format: 720p
- Codec: H.264 (.mov)
- Post all trailers to the Media page on the project website (Youtube or Vimeo)
- Turn in your trailer to the Assignment Drop Box (H.264 .mov)
- View all the trailers in class.
- Work on your rough cut as a group — next class is the roughcut critique/midterm.
- Roughcut: 4-8 mins. Focus: core concept, story structure, music or placeholder music for tone, basic lower thirds done in FCP.
- ROUGHCUT: from FCP, Export your roughcut as H.264 and turn in to the Assignment Drop Box.
- Export graphics as Apple ProRes 422, 720x1280px.
- For transparent background graphics (for ex., lower thirds), export as Apple ProRes 4444 with RGB+alpha.
Here are TWO important and useful links for your review. Hint: check 'em out! :
ROUGH CUT guidelines.pdf (same as below)
ROUGH CUT Critique Guidelines
A rough cut is an opportunity to present your movie before fresh eyes. This feedback can be invaluable for revealing what is working and what is not in your piece.
When presenting, please no disclaimers. Let the work speak, put on your best listening ears, stay calm and take notes (required). The format is to present the rough cut, open the floor to questions for peer review and allow instructors (producers) to have closing remarks.
What are we looking for?
A clear CORE CONCEPT.
A clear sense of a STORY.
Introduction and connection to the main CHARACTERS.
STRUCTURE: a sense of INTRO, BODY and CONCLUSION.
STRUCTURE: clear segments, clear organization.
What is it okay not to have?
Finished AUDIO, though it's nice to hear the dialog, and have a sense of tone, music, etc.
Finished MOTION GRAPHICS. A still can suffice, or a text placeholder.
Finished COLOR CORRECTION.
In general, your rough cut doesn't need to be polished.
Rough cuts are due at the time class starts.
This is your midterm. It is 20% of your grade.
ADDITIONAL AE HELP:
After Effects: export graphics as Apple ProRes 422, 720x1280px.
For transparent background graphics (for ex., lower thirds) export as Apple Pro Res 4444 with RGB+alpha.