LEC 4: Editing for Nonfiction
PDF from keynote lecture: Editing & Workflow
Shoting on the HPX170? HPX-170_FieldGuide_v11
LAB 4: Preproduction and project website clean-up and Preview
Part 1: Preproduction development, project website clean-up. Two posts (at least).
- Make one post stating your Core Concept. Make sure your entire site supports the Core Concept, with the header and background, titles/text, sidebars. Make sure menu navigation, categories, etc. are cleaned up and well-organized.
- Refer to this handout about Story Structure, then make another post answering the following questions:
- What's the narrative spine of your piece?
- What are your main characters? What are your plans for getting footage besides boring talking head shots?
- How is conflict driving your story?
- What kind of change do you wish to unfold within your piece?
- What's the inciting incident and point of entry in your story?
- What issues do you foresee making your piece visually strong?
Part 2: Get set up to do the PREVIEW assignment.
- Individual assignment, 45sec to 2min in length.
- Delivery: H.264 .mov
- Assignment Drop Box and embedded in project site Media page (YouTube or Vimeo).
Now that you have footage, let's get ORGANIZED!
- It is a good idea to set up FCPX on an external drive. This allows being able to work in FCP suites, and allows being able to share projects across multiple computers.
- Make sure everyone has the media they need to do the preview assignment. This includes any assets collected last term including audio, stills, etc.
ASSIGNMENT (due Session 7)
Work individually to create a teaser/preview for your film. 45 sec-2 min. Use the footage you shot and any additional footage you like (stills, music, voice-over, etc.). You can also use assets you make in your upcoming AE lab. The goal is to make a CLIFFHANGER for the film!
The preview/trailer assignment is 10% of your grade. You need to export your video using the FCPX Share menu as H.264, then post to the Media Page on your project site AND the Assignment Drop Box (rackstation/LMW).