New Book (Fun Fact)

New Book:

I was at The Oak Barrel the other day while buying supplies, and I walked over to the book shelf. After gazing at all the different “how-to-brew” books, one caught my eye. It was a book about making hot sauce, inventively named (you guessed it): Hot Sauce! I was amazed to realize that I could possibly use the same supplies I used here and make smaller (most likely 1 gallon or less) batches of hot sauce at home. I was thoroughly impressed as I read the preface in the store. I bought the book and I have started to read it.

Fun Fact:

Something I noticed as I read the first passage was a little fact:

Chiles are a good source of potassium, as well as being dense in vitamins A, B, C and E; flavonoids; and iron, magnesium, niacin, riboflavin, and thiamin. Green chiles have twice the vitamin C found in the equivalent weight of oranges, and red chiles are a better source than carrots of vitamin A, which is essential to protecting skin and strengthening eyesight. Indeed, Spanish sailors took chiles on voyages in the sixteenth century to ward off scurvy, and they ate two roasted peppers for dessert each day in the hope of improving their vision. (Thompson, 9)

Wow! That’s amazing. I never knew my lack of palate as a kid meant I had to eat more bites of veggies at dinner? Bummer… Hahaha. But still this book has a wealth of wisdom, I get the feeling I might have to start a mini-section for hot sauces on here. (Who knows)

Thanks for reading-

SAS