About Us

Gabrielle here! My original intent with this project was to highlight the growing issue of discrimination against female cosplayers and to promote respect in the cosplay community. Thankfully, my awesome group members are helping me to achieve this goal!

Gabrielle

你好。我名字叫李嘉恩。

My name is Gabrielle Wee and I create pretty things on the <interwebz>. I’m currently seeking a degree in Game Art & Design at Ex’pression College for Digital Arts.

My design roots are humble; I started editing the CSS in Xanga layouts when I was twelve to avoid paying for premium skins. I wandered from Myspace to CreateBlog to creating my own website, teaching myself HTML, CSS, Javascript, and PHP. In 2009, I discovered Tumblr, which I’ve been hooked on ever since! These days, I concentrate on perfecting Tumblr and WordPress themes while going to school and working part-time at a small financial firm.

Why major in game art and not web design? Web design is something I’ve always loved, but it’s something I work out on my own. I’ve never taken a web development class and everything I know is self-taught. On the other hand, I have little to no experience in game art and animation, something I’ve always been interested in but have never had the resources to pursue fully, until now. Being well-rounded is something I am passionate about and endeavor to uphold in my own life.

Other than making themes in my spare time, I also enjoy reading, making various crafts, modding my iPod Touch & iPad UI, playing old GBA games, and listening to a rather obscene amount of Korean pop.

Characters I plan on cosplaying in the future are Luna in human form (Sailor Moon), a vampire student (original character) from Vampire Knight, Sailor Saturn (Sailor Moon), Sailor Hulk or Sailor Thor (Sailor Moon/Avengers crossover), my Dungeons & Dragons character (cleric/half-elf), Tana (Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones), and Hilda (Pokemon Black).

Casey

Hey My name is Casey Arnew I am 18 and In the GAD program. I love video games and I am a Brony. Playing the card game Magic is one of my favorite pastimes and I go to cons and cosplay, and I run a blog on tumblr for my Original MLP character. Skyrim is one of my current favorite games. I came to ex’pression to make a name for myself doing what I love.

Hayley

Hi there. I’m Hayley Schaff. I’m in the Game Art and Design degree at Ex’pression College for Digital Arts. I commute to school every day, traveling 115 miles and then some.

I’ve loved drawing ever since I could hold a pencil. I began drawing horses, as they were my obsession, but gradually moved into drawing people. I can anything from realistic to comical, but I prefer to draw the surreal: a combination of the two.

Music is one of the biggest inspirations in both my work and my life. I believe I am one of the few who will go out of the way to purchase a CD versus and mp3. My collection draws from all different genres: punk, alternative, rap, electronic, etc. My favorite artists include Green Day, Mindless Self Indulgence, and Billy Talent.

In the future, I would like to be the creative director of a video game, designing environments and characters.

Tracy

My name is Tracy Dillon. I’m 19 and live in the east bay area. I grew up in a small suburb and lived in this same town from birth until I was 18. After graduating high school I decided to go to school at CSU Northridge in Southern California. During this year I rediscovered my love for art through much debating on “what I want to be when I grow up”. I decided CSUN was not the school for me and started searching for other options. I came across Ex’pression while browsing schools on the web. When I saw the GAD program I knew this was the school for me, and moved back to my home, the bay area.

Now I’m a student at Ex’pression College for Digital Arts, and a Game Art and Design major. I take inspirations from my everyday life and passions such as RPG video games, horror, sci-fi, and fantasy films and books, music, the paranormal, surrealism, and alternative fashion. Some of my biggest inspirations are Tim Burton, J.R.R. Tolkien, John Dyer Baizley, Guillermo Del Toro, and Quentin Tarantino. I tend to do pencil sketches and pen & ink/watercolor paintings in my free time. I also dabble in modeling and fashion styling.

Leanne

My name is Leanne Cutler and I am in my first year in the Animation program at Expression College for Digital Arts. I chose this school because of its success with their students doing well and improving in the field of their chosing and the quality of work done by the students in the 2 and a half years of attending the school.

I love the idea of telling stories through pictures. Its something I grew up with and has stuck with me over the years. Stories like Monsters Inc. and Beauty and the Beast are the kinds of stories I enjoy. Also, I loved the stories of the super heroes, much like the ones Stan Lee brought to life, and their adventures. They come from the pure imagination that everyone has. Being able to bring those ideas to life is what I want to make a career out of. One day I want to be a successful artist creating my own stories and worlds that I can share with everyone. I want to being back the memories of the days when we where little and our imaginations would run wild with crazy ideas.