Miranda Who?

Who am I?

[soundcloud url=”http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/34488003″ params=”show_comments=true&auto_play=false&color=7e0301″ width=”100%” height=”81″ ]

What's that? An audio introduction? 

Hmm, that's a very good question. We could get existential in all this and discuss whether any of us actually know who we are, but let's not and say we did. What follows is not necessarily concise. 

Should you reach the end in one piece, you are to be commended. Cookies will most likely find their way into your life as a result.

• What brings you to Ex’pression College?

A sculpture looking over the city of Des Moines, IA

Most recently, I hale from Iowa. Iowa is a nice place…for some people. Nevertheless, part of what makes Iowa nice is also one of the things that drove me crazy. Iowa is a slower way of life. Being in the middle of the country, it takes longer for technology/fashion/what-have-you to reach popularity. I've known that I desire a faster paced life for quite some time, but I had been working on my education, which kept me there.

In my educational pursuits, I was also thwarted. Being very digitally oriented, I desired to pursue a career in digital education and entertainment. This area is severely lacking in terms of education programs in Iowa. I was in three or four different schools, and always I was frustrated by the lack of understanding of what I wanted to achieve. I heard about Ex'pression College, around the same time as I broke up with my boyfriend of three and a bit years, and decided "What the hell." The times they were a-changin, and I figured I could afford to change with them. I have always loved the West Coast, especially California and even more especially – San Francisco. Already knowing someone who was in the Bay Area for schooling gave me a place to start.

• What drives you creatively?

A lot of my creativity comes from a desire to show others that there are many ways of 

viewing something. I like having a decidedly dark edge to my art, but sometimes that's just not possible. I let what's going on in my mind be the thing that drives me. If I don't know how to do something, I will seek out the skills I need until I complete it. I refuse to let anything limit my self-expression, internal or external forces be damned!

• What would you like to be doing ten years from now?

In ten years, I see myself incredibly happy being undeniably, creatively ME! I would like to be still either in the Bay Area, or perhaps in the Pacific Northwest – the Seattle/Bellevue area. With the insane rate technology is changing, it's nearly impossible to say what I will be doing.  However, the nature of my endeavors will probably settle towards mixing education and entertainment in affordable and easily available ways. Wait…what does that mean anyways? It means that I will find some way to use my skills to make learning fun for everyone!

Ten years from now, I see me being just as close to my friends and family as I am now, if not closer. Perhaps there will be a new addition or two to the family. Love happens; it's a fact of life. Who are we to ignore its call?

• What are your biggest influences?

One of the biggest influences I can never escape is my upbringing. I was raised with a love of reading and learning that has shaped how I see the world irreparably. I approach each new situation as one I can learn from. Even when teaching something to others, there are still possibilities to learn new things. I owe most of that upbringing to my mom, who raised my brother and me on the income of a single disabled parent. Maybe we didn't have crazy fancy gadgets, but we always had what we needed with a few luxuries thrown in for good measure. Money has never been important to me. Actually, I find the concept of money quite confusing. If you need something, you should be able to get it – end of story. I was given every opportunity to stretch my creative wings. Had I been more physically inclined, I'm sure I would have been given every opportunity in that department. My mom did the best she possibly could for me, and doing anything less than my best in return is just not acceptable.

In more recent terms, I enjoy taking influence from the past. Reading one of the classics, or watching a movie that is still relevant fifty plus years in the future, is simply a joy. Finding aspects of history that stir something inside of you is a feeling equal to none. History is spiraled – if you wait long enough, the knowledge you've gained from learning the past will be relevant to the future.

• What do you create?

I create whatever I can, whenever I can. I am a singer. I'm a writer/storyteller/poet. I'm a photographer and a digital artist. I enjoy allowing others to see the world as I see it. Showing them things they might not have seen on their own, or showing it to them in a completely new light. I create jewelry; it's a way of bringing beauty into this world and letting someone carry it around with them. I have never made two identical pieces, and I don't know if I ever shall. There's something about the individuality of each piece that just feels right to me. Recently, I've begun more "traditional" art workings: pencil and paper. This is mostly thanks to Ex'pression College for forcing it on me. Sometimes it takes a little force to make you doing something good for yourself.

Sometimes I have these things in my head and I know that if I don't get them out, surely shall I be driven insane! Sometimes I create simply to keep from going mad; then again, I find the Cheshire cat may have said it best, "We're all mad here."

[soundcloud url=”http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/34490045″ params=”show_comments=true&auto_play=false&color=94b300″ width=”100%” height=”81″ ]
"We're all mad…"