About the Project

Ceilingwards

A circus artist must dedicate much of their time and mind to studying circus disciplines like aerials, clown, or handstands. Circus in the United States is as long-standing as the country, yet it is an industry that few know the nuances of. In this project, we follow Lindsey Barrows and Sarah Tiffin, circus performers who train at a facility called the Kinetic Arts Center in Oakland. Lindsey is bouncing back from an elbow injury and Sarah has recently begun a new discipline, tightwire, in the aftermath of a year-old lower-back injury. Through this project we observe their reflection over their individual injuries and explore the technical intensity of circus training as well as its artistic integration through their eyes.

Frances Tiffin, the founder of this project, works at the Kinetic Center and is currently functioning as the Aerial Director for “CircoMorph”, an upcoming show in which Lindsey and Sarah are apart of. This foreknowledge will allow us to explore individual character arcs.

4 responses to “About the Project

1. I can’t wait to see some of the performance footage!

2. I’m looking forward to your project sounds really cool so far :-)

3. I can’t wait to see this one! I’m really into Cirque du Soleil and recently did a report on them for another class last term, so this caught my interest quick.

4. Wow! That’s some really interesting stuff, Frances. It seems like you have a lot of really talented people to interview